Monday, June 7, 2010

Chapter 4 - A Small Vacation

Sorry for being soo late with my 4th chapter...was a bit busy(being lazy :P )..Hope to keep this blog updated regularly frm now on..N btw ppl who manage to read my post r requested to giv me feedback :)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was a rainy day.BIT campus looked awesome while raining.We travelled thru d narrow roads wid tall trees lining the borders.After travelling in d car for sm 2 kms, there came d climax...The narrow roads opened to the wide rectangular loan space and beyond that there stood the prestigious BIT main building.It looked smthing lyk this ..I.. It was a wonderful sight !!

As we entered d main buliding we saw a lot of security personnals carrying barrels(don know whether loaded or fake) as if it was sm VIP's office.For first year students this sight is sure to give a proud feeling that they are among the privileged few who got admission in BIT ....Hmmm...Privileged or Damned !! Will hav to c to dat..Coming back..There wer posters here n there wid instructions for Ist year students to proceed to CAT,a small auditorium.After d formalities at CAT we proceeded to sm ED room.Filled up some forms there and submitted the cheque and documents as necessary.Frm the ED room I got a slip written BE/1392/06.That time I didn know that,that was my roll no. for d rest of my college lyf n itz going to be most famous roll no. of ECE section B :P

So after registration there is this small vacation 4 me....stretching 12 days frm July 12th to 24th...me n Joks got a small house to stay just next to Jok's aunty's home...

Our dads left within 2-3 days.So finally we wer left alone in "Ranchi".Itz time to start new lyf @ Ranchi.12 days was d time period we got to convert ourselves from pakka mallus to 'Ranchi' compatible mode....and our guide was the 'Aunty nxt door'...everyday she made us different North Indian dishes...n all of them tasted soo good...So we thought we made a right decision as far as d food was concerned (Never expected the hostel fud to be so bad...4 years fud in hostel..don wanted to be reminded again)...

Meanwhile we started exploring Ranchi wid d little Hindi we knew....One day we went out to buy a bag to a local shop.Joks picked one bag n enquired itz price..The shopkeeper said sm Rs.225 n all....wow wow..dats much more than that deserves.......well now its time 4 sm bargaining. Apparantly we r new to this bargaining world...atleast in Ranchi...But we never find ourselves less....'Hum kisi se kam nahi'..Wid all confidence and courage Joks started d bargaining...First call...Rs.75 !! Just after he uttered those words....There was a sudden change in the shopkeeper's facial expression..It never looked positive frm any angle..in fact that was one of the scariest I looks I ever got...As soon as his facial expression changed we handed over d bag to him..n jus turned n started walking....wait a minute..dat was not actually walking..it was smthing at d border of walking and running.....We kept moving at d same pace 4 almost 3-4 mins n never dared to turn back...That was Ranchi - Lesson 1 !!

Another adventurous day was not far away.The house we stayed in Ranchi was a small villa which was at a lower level frm d surrounding areas.A perfect running water destination.The geography around seemed to utter loudly,'During heavy rains u r going to be in big trouble !!'..Aunt too told us d same thing...But no options..Had to take dat risk.For d first 4-5 days things went well.There was no such heavy rains n all.But finally all d rain of those 4-5 days came pouring on us on the 6th day.It started raining heavily in d evening....n it continued n continued...after 2 hours of heavy rain aunty came n warned us:'If it continues to rain 4 one more hour..all d dirty water outside is gonna get inside.So start praying 4 d rain to cease'.Uffff..We started smelling sm big trouble.All we could do was sit on our beds watching d rain outside...n pray 4 sm mercy.But the rain Gods didn show ny mercy on us n it continued to rain heavily.After abt an hour d water level was jus at d door gap level.There was no place to run..Aunty's home didn hav space enuf to accomodate 2 of us 4 d nite.Now all we could expect was sm miracle to happen..But it didn happen.All d last moment trials were done in order to keep d water frm entering,placing watever we found at the door gaps.Before long, the dirty rain water started to extend it's kingdom inside our rooms.We got on to our beds helplessly watching. .Rain's strength never weakened..infact it kept on increasing.....now d water level started rising below us !! wat d hell...we can't keep our legs on floor ..Rain kept on pouring.. water level rose sm 20 cms below our beds n it was already 11 30 pm.....Now wat !! Keep watching d dirty water below is not an option...Soo wat nxt ?? Finally we came to a conclusion..We r gonna sleep...Rest we left to God..So we switched off d lights n slept off..brave,huh !! But we expected to be woken up in d middle of d nite by d water below...Well,it didn happen...Next morning we woke up c d no water below us.The only thing we found ws sm dirt and a lil bit of stagnant water spread here n ther....Thank God !!..the water went back d way it came...Sigh of relief..Cleaning the rooms was a half-day job.

Our Ranchi explorations continued....in between I got a call frm a aunty one day saying that her son got admission in BIT...n she added they wer already in Ranchi n she was leaving that day...so wanted to introduce her son to us be4 she left....Ohhh...I ws a bit excited..now itz 3 !!..I enquired wer he was staying ?? She had a very interesting answer,"wid seniors"..What d hell is he upto !! Staying wid seniors in their hostel...Such a courageous guy..staying wid the lions in deir Den :P ..a real life Rajnikanth :P :P.She added he's staying wid d mallu seniors n they r very helpful !! I jus gave a long 'Hmmmmmmmmmmm' in reply.

Anyways place n time wer decided 4 d meeting...It was infront of one of the hotels near to the railway station..one of the few places I knew then...I reached d place on time..Wen I reached there I noticed a dark-skinned guy wid a weird hair style standing there....Is he d guy ?? More tragedies !! I looked out for an aunty..There was no one...Hmmm..So he's not d guy..They must be on their way...But this guy started staring at me....Seemed he was also waiting 4 sm1....There was qualis in between us...After a moment he disappeared behind d Qualis n soon was back wid an aunty...From d first look itself I figured out she was a mallu...n standing nxt to her..our handsome guy..Yaa..He's vinu !! He smiled at me now(looked better wid a smile :P :P)..n aunt asked me,'George ??'..waiting 4 d obvious answer...'Yes'..n d link was established wid a shake hand...Vinu introduced himself....He seemed very friendly n humble !! I tell u guys he's one of d best examples of 'Never be guided by one's looks'(btw his looks r not so bad except for the complexion).He's a very sweet guy..n turned out to be a very sporty one too..Plays almost all games wid gr8 skill !!

After seeing aunty off at the railway station I took him to our small villa....Joks,all ill,was enjoying a nap there...As soon as we reached our home..I showed Vinu Joks sleeping in a corner..He himself went there n woke him up n asked,"How r u ?'...But he should hav taken the surroudings into consideration before doing soo..The light was not switched on which means the room was already dark....n Joks has not met him before n no idea he's soo dark..n most importantly he's sleeping now..Now u ppl can imagine wat was joks state-of-mind wen he saw vinu's face in dat dark room as soon as he woke up....Yaaa..He did shake a little..But jockey -d brave guy-gained back his composure soon...n answerd 'I'm ok' wid a puzzled face n gave me look which said,"who d hell is he ??"...Understanding d situation Vinu introduced himself..So d triangular link was established there..Me joks n then Vinu...We had a chit chat for sm time which mainly included detailed introduction...n then I went to c him off at St.Xaviers.Before he left he invited me to come to BIT as he was d only 2k6 guy der then..I said....yaa..sure I'll come with no intention of going der before class begins..I'm not dat courageous :P But when I told abt this to Joks he was ready to go !! But I refused.Actually I had met one of the Seniors before coming to BIT as he stayed near to my home...So wen he was back to BIT for 3rd sem, he too called me n asked me to come over n he offered to introduce me to other seniors.But common sense was enuf to understand wat that introduction was.But Joks, always interested in adventures ,wanted to go n meet them face to face !! Courageous,huh..We'll c..Pressure frm Vinu,senior n Joks made me agree to this stupid idea.So went to St.Xaviers to catch a bus.When we wer abt to get into d bus..Joks asked,"Should we go ?"...I replied,"How many times I told you..I don like to go"..He replies,"Hmmm..So letz catch a auto back home".After 10 mins we wer bak home :P :P.Called my senior n Vinu n told a series of lies y we didn come..Don remember wat wer they...

Days went by quickly n finally July 23rd arrived..The day to leave 4 BIT hostel no.6 to start 4 years hostel lyf.Aunty arranged a Bolero 4 us.She accompanied us to our hostel.We got down @ Hostel no.6..felt little excited .Vinu was waiting der for or arrival.Finally from dat day onwards he's gonna live with his batchmates .We got ourselves registered in d hostels.All d students in d hostels were busy cleaning d rooms they got.Well, d lobby looked ugly with all d dirt accumulated. But for me d room was already cleaned... how ?? My roomy did it for me..Nw whom ?? Vinu Kumar M S....Yipeee...I got a Mallu roomie !! Yipeee Becoz he was among d few guys I knew at BIT...n I m not completely converted to Ranchi compatible mode...Wid a mallu as roomy I get sm more time !! But wat abt Joks...He has not roomy for nw.Dat was made possible by a special request from a Mallu staff we approached during admission time.We r expecting more mallus to occupy d vacant seats :) :) .Me n Vinu after adjusting my luggage went to c joks room...Ghrrrr...very dirty...he too got a guy to clean d room...After a lot of effort frm 3 of us,the room was worth living.

In between news came that all students needs to register in d mess...Otherwise no dinner..OOps...We got ourselves registered soon not knowing the the type of food we r running for :P :P ..Well, we understood that the first day itself.Well,that was our first day @ hostel..We slept off to the first day @ college.......

1 comment: